Sunday, January 25, 2009

Orwell's Children

There's not much to comment on this one either. Maybe I'm just feeling lazy, or I'm saving it up for something else. Here's a teaser:
It has been sixty years since George Orwell wrote his chilling dystopian classic, 1984, and it has been thirty years since we saw the creepiest example of educated and free people willingly walking into a living dystopia. November 18, 1978, three decades ago, 918 people drank Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. Jim Jones, the communist leader of Jonestown, Guyana, had become "Big Brother." Soviet and Communist Chinese propaganda films and condemnations of capitalist and imperialist America blared continually to the subjects of this island of Leftist Hell.

Jonestown ended in mass suicide, but the real horror was that ordinary people, Americans like you and I, had become so decoupled from reality and morality that they could be led to surrender everything, even their lives, intoxicated only with the venom of modern Leftism. These were Orwell's Children.

We are drifting into the sort of horrific future he described. Too many of us for comfort or solace have become just like the denizens of Jonestown: Orwell's children -- a new generation of creature enraged into constant militancy against eternal enemies, oblivious to the notion of a Blessed Creator, melded into the consciousness of the party hive, divorced from history, hypnotized by images, inoculated against reason, stripped of family, and existing only to serve the cause.
Read the rest from American Thinker.

Now, if you are an atheist or an agnostic (like me), and you're having trouble reconciling the references to God, here's how I look at it. I'm an agnostic - I have my doubts as to whether God exists, but I couldn't look you straight in the eye and tell you with unquestioning certainty that there is no God. After years of religious schooling (from kindergarten through 8th grade) I made my own decisions for me and nobody else, and now, at 43 years of age, the thought of God hardly enters my mind for the most part; but I don't have a problem with those who do have whatever they consider to be a "relationship" with God. As long as nobody is forcing me to believe or give money to a church or whatever, I don't have a problem with it (too bad I can't say the same about paying taxes to the federal government). That is a far cry from the rabid, "freedom from religion" atheists who actively and vehemently attack Christianity and want to abolish from public consciousness any thought of or reference to God. They, in a sense, worship humanity, with the state as a figurehead embodiment of humanity. (Ironically, many of those people are the same ones telling us that humans are a virus on the planet).

Regardless of how you may feel about religion and how it's been the cause of so much death and misery throughout history - consider this: In the span of only a half century - far more death, misery, and destruction was dealt out at the hands of totalitarian regimes (Mao, Stalin, Hitler) where religion was replaced by the state and a man replaced God.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI: 70% of those who died at Jonestown were black----48% black women-22% black men.....

3:23 AM GMT+13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS.....as each day passes by me,
I get more convinced that the 'infamous' ancient astronauts
are the "gods"......

3:25 AM GMT+13  

Post a Comment

<< Home