Monday, July 21, 2008

Music - Earth, Wind, and Fire

Believe it or not, the first concert I went to was Earth, Wind, and Fire in 1979, and it is one of the best shows I have ever seen. You may not think that, being a big fan of 60's and 70's rock, I would be into EWF, but I'm here to tell you that I am. These guys had it all - the soul, the groove, the harmonies. I can't say enough about a group like EWF that can put a full sound out there with REAL horns, REAL percussion, guitars, and front men like Maurice White and Phillip Bailey who had real stage presence and could REALLY sing! The crap that tries to pass itself off these days as R&B is pitiful; I can't even call it music. This is EWF at their peak, just as I remember them. Bassist Verdine White (brother of lead singer and founder, the late Maurice White)provides incredible musical as well as vocal harmonies and lays down such solid time and rhythmic energy to complement the solid back beat, and check out Johnny Graham's ultra-soulful guitar solo with that crunchy blues riff toward the very end - WOW!!! So, without further ramblings from me, here is Earth, Wind, and Fire, live at the Oakland Coliseum, 1981, with their huge break-out hit from 1975, "That's the Way of the World." Enjoy and turn up your speakers!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Ramen said...

I don't know, OCM, but I don know that THIS is what I call GOOD MUSIC!!!!! I had such a good feeling when I left the EWF concert, and I get that same feeling whenever I listen to them now!!!!

RAP????? As far as I'm concerned it is the last three letters in cRAP!!!

6:40 PM GMT+12  

Post a Comment

<< Home